Tuesday 16 June 2015

Big Boast

I had a moment of glory!
I really want to share it, but it is pretty self indulgent, so I chose here.
Coming back to work after three weeks away I was understandably nervous. I took a holiday to commemorate my first six months of my new job. It was well over due.
So. My fellow nurse needed help with a young, female patient who wasn't allowed to move out of bed. The nurse was an agency nurse and want quite au fait with how we were going to manage to help her. 
Now a lot of people within my work environment have the horrid habit of asking about the patient when they are right in front of them. As if they have become deaf, dumb, mute AND immobile just because they're in a hospital bed. I'm constantly just repeating the phrase "They're there, why don't you ask them?!" with a sickly sweet grin on my face. 
I'm getting somewhere, I promise. SO, the nurse asked me a simple question about the patient we were standing in front of so I referred her to the patient, adding, to soften the blow of my indignace, that I had been away for a while and hadn't met this woman before. 
I then watched the patient as her cogs started rolling and asked me if I was Australian. I clarified, that I wasn't but had just been there for a bit of a break. Then! Here's the punchline. She said, so casually; "Ah, the Ward Manager said that if I had any issues at all, I should ask you because you're good and get get things done."
This is the moment I tried very hard, and I fear, failed to hide my immense pride and flattery.
I gushed a little and said something along the lines of "Ooooh, oh! Ah, did she. ReAlly? Hahaha. About me? She was talking about me? She, I, good?! Hah. Yeah. Anything!!"

There you have it. I felt like I had arrived. Fianlly, really, behind my back, confirmation!!
Also that night, I picked up the desk phone to her on the other line and she said 'Oh, Lovely C, it's you." I've made it!

She's still my boss though. Next step; besties.

1 comment: