Tuesday 16 June 2015

Backlash

I'm not telling you this because I want your pity or well wishes. I genuinely think this is a funny story about to unravel. A short one at that. It just goes to show how working with such a wide variety of people can open your eyes!

I was just scoping out some supplies in the store room when a health care assistant from the next door ward came in. I know this lady works bank shifts, and I have probably worked with her on the same ward about twice. I don't know her name and have been nothing but borderline civil with her. I doubt we have anything in common. But, I as I feel is my duty, I greeted her pleasantly and asked what she was searching for. I guided her to it and carried on my own hunt. As she is walking away, back out the door (without a thankyou, I may add) she nonchalantly says is her (husky man voice) 'You're gaining weight.'

That was it! I wasn't concentrating, so I asked her 'Huh?'

And she just repeated herself and walked off! I think I even thanked her for her comment in sheer shock and habit.

It would be hard to paint you a picture of this woman without sounding bitter, and emotionally effected, but I will attempt nonetheless. She is a big lady. And the physique is not helped by her choice of a dress uniform. Relatively tall too, so you can't miss her. With tiny round glassed pushed into her round face on top of a little pushed up piggy nose. These are facts. Not opinions.

Anyway, the truth of it is, that I have gain a couple of kilos. Not noticeable in my baggy uniforms, but that was purely down to the fact I was eating the same amount on my holidays as before, but without the stress filled, foodless days at work in between. I'll soon be back into the swing of things, I have no fear of that.
Getting on my bike a little more often too... But for fun, I assure you!

She was the first of three that week to make similar statements. Thank you all! I will swiftly keep track of those pesky six kilos, as they so clearly offend you. It's for the best in all accounts :D

No comments:

Post a Comment